Welcome to The ALL London June Event 2022 page!
We had a great time! We owe thanks to so many people
- Thank you Romain Devaux for hosting us at the elegant and historic French Institute with its beautiful foyer and spaces to accommodate however many people apply.
- Thank you to the corporate sponsors whose stands, fliers and raffle prizes provided interest and funding for refreshments: Little Linguist, Thisislanguage, Sanako, Maison Claire Fontaine
- Thank you to the language Institutes who shared information about their support: Consejería, Goethe Institut, and Institut français
- Thank you to the speakers, Dr Jennifer Eddy, Steven Fawkes, Sijing Ni and Jérôme Noguès and Helena who prepared such superb presentations for us.
- Thank you to the ALL committee members (this year welcoming our new committee member, Jayne Gill and special guest star Crista Hazell (!)) who arrive early in the morning , muck in to set up refreshments and registration, and, most importantly, make everyone feel welcome.
- Thank you to Christian Michel who offered an optional session of an informative stroll around South Ken to discover its French connection (à recommander!)
- Thank you to our ‘Saturday Morning Keeenies’ : the language teacher enthusiasts who choose to get up early on a Saturday morning to satisfy their curiosity about what others are doing in the world of language teaching, to meet and make friends and to eat biscuits! (This year, a special thanks to Waitrose for having a special offer on their cookies!)
We are already looking forward to our next event which will be on Saturday 21st January 2023 at the BFI, on London’s South Bank. Please save the date!
To those who attended, you will be sent a private link to downloads generously offered by speakers, and please remember remember that if you have joined ALL since registering, you can claim a refund!
Sessions and Links
Here are descriptions of the sessions.
‘Just making memories’ Steven Fawkes. Trustee, Fellow, Volunteer in ALLNE at Association for Language Learning and former BBC Education Officer and, since March 2022, Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Palmes académiques! What better way to celebrate our return to an ALL London face-to-face conference than with Steven, a star speaker at our events, always guaranteed to remind us of why we love languages and brimming with ideas about how to pass that love to our learners. We will definitely be ‘remembering more’ after this session …! At least one song guaranteed! His presentation is available to those who attended.
‘Recite, bake, create and play!’ Jérôme Noguès, Head of MFL and Digital learning in a Prep school in Shropshire. The talented Jérôme’s online webinars have helped so many of us enormously over lockdown and it was great to see his superb session at ALL’s Language World. We asked him to repeat it for us at our event so that more teachers could benefit from his ideas. We are delighted that he accepted. and he plans to add a bit extra: a game of boules! He will describe extra-curricular activities and whole-school events which have enthused his primary and KS3 learners, enriching their language learning including baking, reciting poetry, creating art-work and playing sport. His presentation is available to those who attended.
“ Presentation and Practice for Performance: That’s where it’s AATT!” Dr Jennifer Eddy, Associate Professor, Queens College, City University New York. We are so privileged to be able to offer a session led by Jennifer, a loyal and valued member of ALL from across the pond who happens to be in London at this period. She has offered to share more about how her attractive idea for authentic, engaging formative assessment of intercultural communicative competence can fit into the UK context. In a collaborative project with UCL professor Dr. Fotini Diamantidaki, PGCE graduates Helena Serena and Sijing Ni will describe their instructional strategies, grammar and vocabulary that made their AATT (Articulated Assessment Transfer Tasks) exemplars successful, along with samples of pupils’ work. They will also share DesignSpace tools for meaningful and relevant tasks in any language and cultural context.
Christian Michel of ‘French London Experience’ – a guided stroll around South Kensington in French.
Here is a link to our Flikr album. Feel free to click through!
Congratulations to Célia who won the Languagenut raffle prize!
Here is a link to the registration.